Thursday, March 31, 2011

Cabby Council

I got off work around 10 p.m. and slipped into a classic, little black dress, selected purposely because it’s the easiest way for me to avoid a major fashion faux-pas that I’m likely to commit-- hence the operative word, “classic.”  The irony, I was on my way to a fashion show...needless to say, it was my first one and given that my definition of fashion is wearing whatever the heck looks and feels good, I have a strong feeling it will be my last.
I hailed a cab from work and headed towards Lumen where the show was being held.  I always love conversing with my cabbies; you’d be surprised at some of the stories they have to offer!  In this case, my driver was particularly chatty and I was glad he was, as he was the inspiration for this blog.
My classic, black dress is what caused him to ask me where I was going that night and so I told him, as well as mentioned that I didn’t know what to expect seeing as this was my first fashion show.  I think he misunderstood and thought I was going to be in the show, given his advice to me.  He explained that he was familiar with the industry and when he lived in India he had lots of family and friends involved in acting and modeling.
He began by saying, "Allow me to let you in on a secret, it's all about confidence...that's the best kept secret in Hollywood.”  Then he expounded further by saying, "you could be the ugliest girl, but if you have confidence, you can convince the world otherwise!" as if to say to me, you’re in luck Paige, there's hope for you!  LOL…little did he know, and good thing for me, I was to be merely a spectator at this fashion show.
Notwithstanding, he had an excellent point and proceeded by providing numerous examples to support his theory-- I’m convinced he’s entirely accurate.  Confidence is indicative of a love and acceptance for who we are, and with it comes one of the rarest and most radiant forms of beauty.  This beauty, found within, shines through us leaving those in our path unable to distinguish appearance from substance.
When you think about it, we all have the same potential to be as beautiful as we want to be, the kind of beauty that is unfading and infectious, the one that matters the most, the only one that really matters at all. Unfortunately, we live in a world where vanity reigns supreme and it’s a battle everyday to avoid falling victim to that sin.
 Sometimes life’s reminders come from unlikely sources, if we’re willing to listen…in this case, to a cab driver.

Inspiration-Cabby, Chicago

2 comments: